Product Review: Jack LaLanne Power Juicer Express

I haven't done a product review in awhile and wanted to share with you the benefits of juicing that I recently started doing.

Why Juice?

I wasn't a big veggie person and knew I needed more greens in my diet. I would have a salad for lunch and maybe some asparagus for dinner that had been cooked, brushed with oil and topped with garlic and lemon. Sure I was getting greens and yes, I still do that because it's delicious but after you've jazzed up your asparagus you've lost much of the benefits of the vegetable to begin with. Steaming broccoli, carrots and cauliflower is a great and delicious way to get your veggies but when you heat up/cook/steam/broil any vegetable you begin to lose the vitamins and value that veggie holds, this is why adding juicing is great. Consuming foods in its rawest form is the best way to consume all the vitamins that you can from it. I don't know about you but sitting around eating a whole stalk of kale, 10 carrots, a stalk of broccoli, etc. just isn't going to happen but I know I need it.
** PS: I am not a nutritionist or specialist in any way. This is just knowledge I've gathered from reading into foods for awhile.
Juicing is great to keep your body alkaline. Majority of the foods you eat will be acidic and if you're like me and enjoy things like: coffee, wine, fruit, dairy, animal proteins, etc then you're keeping your body mainly acidic. When people talk about eating 80/20 or 60/40 it means 80% alkaline and 20% acidic. It does not mean, and I used to think this is what they meant: 80% healthy and the other 20% of the day cupcakes/pizza/beer/wings. Just google alkaline vs. acidic or pick up a copy of Crazy Sexy Diet for the run down.

Come on in, juicing...

After watching the Netflix documentary, "Hungry For Change", Rich and I went out and bought this the very next day. It's what also turned me on to Kris Carr and her 'Crazy Sexy Diet'. Now we love juicing. We do it as often as we can and honestly have fun doing it. Sometimes we sort of fight over who gets to make the daily batch because it's fun putting the food in the top. Oh the things that entertain us now....

So if you follow here you know I follow Tone It Up 80% of the time. I couldn't fully follow the CSD because it's entirely raw-plant-based, vegan, tons of cooking, etc. Reading her book CSD is great though to understand WHY you should eat more plant-based and what exactly foods do to your body. I can't give up chicken like she recommends but I now buy organic, free-range, no fillers, etc. Tone It Up allows me to be more lax on things than CSD. Ms. Carr also talks about giving up coffee and now she's just crossing the line. Nahgunnahappenlady. She's not a mom....

This is the batch I made yesterday. From the recipe below I was able to get all this. Note: If you make a large batch you can keep it in your fridge covered for 48 hours max so don't get crazy and make a week's worth otherwise you'll be tossing lots of produce. The recipe for the mix above is:

  • 2 cucumbers (peeled if not organic)
  • 5 stalks of celery
  • 2 pears
  • A head of broccoli
  • A batch of kale
  • 5-6 leaves of romaine lettuce. (Not the pre-packaged stuff for your salad, buy the actual leaves from a produce section)
  • 1" of ginger root
This is the recipe Rich and I mainly make but honestly, I don't think there should be any 'recipes' in juicing. Just add 90% vegetables with a couple pieces of fruit in it to sweeten it up.

Pros to the Jack LaLanne Juicer:

  • It's easy to assemble and disassemble. If it had 800 parts I guarantee you that I would have used it once and stored it away never touching it again.
  • Dishwasher safe. Again, I'm lazy and will not sit there to wash 880 parts after I use it which is every other day or so.
  • Rarely clogs. In the 4 or 5 months or so that we've had it I've had only 2 clogs and that was entirely my fault by putting in too big of chunks of broccoli stems.
  • Quiet
  • Cheap: $99.99
There are honestly no negatives to this thing. Not yet at least but we all remember how this product review went.

You cannot juice the following (based on my experience):
  • Berries (they'll just get tossed into the waste bin, save these for smoothies)
  • Avocados (ditto)
  • Large pits from peaches, cherries, mangos.
 When to drink? On an empty stomach a half an hour before meals so your body will absorb the nutrients to its max.

That was a lot of words and I'm more of a picture-gal. Good for you if you read the whole thing. If you want to try juicing the Jack LaLanne is a great one to start with. It includes a DVD to show you what to do with it and how to assemble it. I seriously recommend watching 'Hungry For Change' if you have Netflix. It's so eye opening, just keep an open mind.

PS: TBTT will be posted next week as I will be on VACATION starting Wednesday

1 comment

  1. Thanks for the great information. The recipe really sounds yummy!


SMD Favorites